Right before school started, our family took a week-long vacation to the Florida Panhandle. Specifically, we rented a house off the stretch of highway (30-A) that runs from Destin to Carillion Beach and Panama City.
- Riding bikes to Deer Lake State Park - the dunes are gorgeous and the beach nearly empty
- Eating dinner in Rosemary Beach - I love wandering around the community, admiring the architecture
- Renting a boat in Panama City and going to Shell Island for the day - I recommend going early, you'll feel like you are on a deserted island
- Mass at St. Rita's in Santa Rosa Beach - the parishioners are always so kind to vacationers
- Riding bikes to Seaside for ice cream - it is always fun to ride around the area's original "traditional urban development"
For years, the Watercolor Inn & Resort has been the only luxury hotel/resort option on 30-A. Now they definitely have some competition. The rooms are fabulous (some with ocean views) and there are dining and spa options onsite.
Nashville has non-stop flights on Southwest to Panama City and I think "The Pearl" would be a fantastic long weekend destination for the fall.